Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Navigators



While I was looking at what group to attend I saw many groups. As I kept on searching I found a group that is very important for me to get involved in right away.
I have been raised in a Christian. I have always gone to church every Sunday, Tuesdays, and Fridays. Now that I am living on campus I can not go to all the services my church has throughout the week in Orlando. This is why I decided to attend a Christian group at University of South Florida called the Navigators.
The Navigators are a group that is dedicated to learn to learn to experience God and grow in our relationship with Him. They meet weekly for worship, Bible studies, and prayer, among other things.
They have three different meetings you can attend. One of these meetings are the Bible studies which are on several different days of the week and you can accommodate it to your schedule. Here we gather together and study different verses of the Bible each week.
Another meeting the Navigators have is one called Freshmen Connection. This is the Freshmen Bible study. Here a group of freshmen are gathered together and do ice breakers, like games and challenges among other things, to get to know each other and make new friends. Then they divide into groups of around 8 people and, with a staff leader, and study the Bible.
I have already attended the Freshmen Connection, but the one I attended first, and loved it, was the NavNites. Here we worship, pray and someone preaches. Here I received the word of God and got encouragement that helps me get through my problems and through the week of classes. It also drew me closer to God.
The people that are members of the Navigators are awesome. They are very nice and the moment I got there everyone introduced themselves to me and introduced me to other people. Even the staff in charge of the group started talking to me and one of them turned out to be from my same country so we had a lot of stuff in common to talk about.
It was totally what I expected. I had seen their website and it really looked like fun, and it definitely was. My fist experience was so great that the week after I attended the NavNites I went to the Freshmen Connection, and I also loved it. Here I got to meet new people and learn a lot about the Bible.
The social scene in college is very different than in high school. In high school you attended school from a certain hour to a certain hour and then you quickly went back home because there was really nothing to do in school. In college I think it is different especially if you are close to the campus. This is mainly because you are closer to where the groups meet and you have more opportunities to accommodate the meetings to your class schedule.

No comments: