Monday, October 22, 2007

Contribution that I think I will bring to the University of South Florida

Once admitted into the University of South Florida, some people will bring their high IQ’s others will bring their 4.0 GPA transcripts and their high Scholastic Aptitude Test scores, while still others will bring their encyclopedic knowledge of academic matters. I am sure that they will all be very successful in their academic endeavors. Probably, they will all excel in their chosen careers. Even though they all possess laudable attributes, I personally feel that their contribution to university life falls short of what it could potentially be. That is why I plan on bringing with me something completely different when I embark on my educational journey at University of South Florida.
I will bring to the University of South Florida a dream seeded deep within my heart. It is a dream nurtured by a strong desire to acquire an education that is not only scientific but well-rounded and encompassing all facets of human relations. Education is not an isolated phenomenon occurring behind classroom walls or in library cubicles. Education is a dynamic process that involves the development of academic skills honed by the interaction with society as a whole. This results in a better understanding of the world around us that allows us to become more tolerant and accepting of differences among human beings. Education is also a privilege, and those who are awarded this privilege have the moral obligation of using this gift to improve the society that gave them the opportunity to develop their skills to the utmost. Knowledge by itself serves no purpose unless it is geared at serving the community that afforded us the opportunity of a higher education.
I know that, in order to achieve my dream, I will need appropriate tools to make the task easier, so I am also bringing to the University of South Florida my study discipline, my tenacity, my relentless effort and a spirit of community service unsurpassed by anyone. I am bringing a conviction and a particular vision of what higher education should be, I believe that education is impossible if you are trapped in an ivory tower without direct contact with the surrounding reality. Only through integration of knowledge and praxis can true education be achieved. The cohesive agent that keeps together the magnificent puzzle of higher education is one’s desire to learn and to serve, and this I have a lot of.
We all become better persons through education. I want to be capable of communicating with others by using knowledge as a facilitator and not as an obstacle. I also want to thank those granting me the privilege of reaching my educational goal by promoting a mutually rewarding relationship between the University and its neighbors. Cultural, sports, and other social activities that stimulate participation of students and non-students alike can help establish a healthy interaction between all sectors of society. Frontiers that previously dispersed and alienated members of a community can thus be abolished for the benefit of all those involved in this enriching process of integration through interaction that constitutes a learning experience and culminates in the acquisition of knowledge useful to the advancement of humanity.
I will bring to the University of South Florida a dream of a better world.

No comments: